Patent Search in Malta
Before applying for a patent it is advisable to conduct a search for patent information for the following reasons:
- Avoiding the wast of time / money by duplicating an invention that already exists (prior art);
- Determing if you are infringing another patent;
- Obtaining competitive patent information;
- Determining whether a patent is valid;
After the registration patent monitoring or patent searches conducted at regular intervals are helpful to protect your patent rights.
In order to perform a Patent Search in Malta we require the following:
- The patent title;
- The patent number or application number;
- Name of owner or applicant;
- Grant date or filing date;
A Power of Attorney is not required.
It usually takes 7-10 working days until the search results are issued.
The exact timeframe depends on the working processes of the Malta IPO and may vary.